It all basically started with Google launching its toolbar in 2000 with Toolbar PageRank (TBPR) and since then, there have been many new and exciting algorithm updates and search index refreshes. Some of the significant updates over the course of last 15 years are:
- Boston, Cassandra, Dominic, Esmeralda, Fritz, and Florida in 2003.
- Austin, Brandy and Google IPO in 2004.
- Nofollow, Allegra, Bourbon, XML Sitemaps, Gilligan, Jagger, Google Local/Maps and Big Daddy in 2005.
- False Alarm in 2006.
- Universal Search and Buffy in 2007.
- Dewey and Google Suggest in 2008.
- Rel-canonical Tag, Vince, and Real time Search in 2009.
- Google Places, May Day, Caffeine, Brand Update, Google Instant, Social Signals and Negative Reviews in 2010.
- Attribution Update, Panda/Farmer, Panda 2.0, Panda 2.1, Schema.org, Panda 2.2, Google+, Panda 2.3, Panda 2.4, Expanded Sitelinks, 516 Algo Updates, Panda 2.5, Query Encryption, Panda 3.1 and two 10 Pack Updates (November and December) in 2011.
- Google+ personalisation in SERP results, Panda 3.2, Ads above the Fold, Panda 3.3, Venice, Panda 3.4, Parked Domain Bug, Panda 3.5, Penguin, Panda 3.6, Knowledge Graph, Penguin 1.1, Panda 3.7, Panda 3.8, Link Warnings, Panda 3.9, 7 Results SERPs, Panda 3.9.1, Panda 3.9.2, Pirate, EMD (Exact Match Domain) Update, Penguin (#3), Page Layout, Panda (#20, #21, #22, #23) and Knowledge Graph Expansion in 2012.
- Panda (#24, #25), Phantom, Domain Crowding, Penguin 2.0, Panda Dance, Payday Loan Update, Panda Recovery, Knowledge Graph Expansion, In-depth articles, Hummingbird, Penguin 2.1, and Authorship Shake-up in 2013.
Page Layout (#3), Payday Loan 2.0, 3.0; Panda 4.0, 4.1; Authorship Photo Drop, Pigeon, HTTPS/SSL Update, Authorship removed, Penguin 3.0, Pirate 2.0, Penguin Everflux and Pigeon Expands to UK, CA, and AU in 2014.
Mobilegeddon AKA Mobile Update, Quality Update, Panda 4.2 and Rank Brain launch in 2015 also made headlines.
To know more on how these updates affect your websites PageRank in the SERPs and how we can help you retain them, drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org